Tax Policy Center
About the Tax Policy Center
The Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center aims to provide independent analyses of current and longer-term tax issues and to communicate its analyses to the public and to policymakers in a timely and accessible manner. The Center combines top national experts in tax, expenditure, budget policy, and microsimulation modeling to concentrate on overarching areas of tax policy that are critical to future debate.
Who We Are
The Tax Policy Center (TPC) is a joint venture of the Urban Institute and Brookings Institution. The Center is made up of nationally recognized experts in tax, budget, and social policy who have served at the highest levels of government.
What We Do
TPC provides timely, accessible analysis and facts about tax policy to policymakers, journalists, citizens, and researchers. Our major products are:
- Model estimates: The TPC Microsimulation Model produces revenue and distribution estimates for the latest tax proposals and bills. More information about the tax model is available in the overview and a detailed methodology paper.
- Research & Commentary: Find all of our current and past research by TPC researchers and staff.
- Statistics: Our Statistics database compiles facts and figures from government agencies and other sources.
- The Tax Policy Briefing Book: “A handy primer on how the tax system works.”— Tom Herman, Wall Street Journal. The Briefing Book is intended as a resource for the public, the press, and even presidential campaigns-in short, for anyone who wants to be well informed about current tax and budget matters.
- TaxVox: The Tax Policy Center’s tax and budget policy blog. Join the discussion on tax legislation, administration, and more.